Tuesday, June 26, 2007

No. 60: The Book Of Barabbas ,1996

A blind and bitter , twisted fool was I
To riot , murder ,and then come here to die

Aimless , with no known cause and scant integrity
I killed for several shekels to fund my insobriety

Yet in my darkest hour , before a grisly grave of wood
Behold! A lesser fool with bleeding ,thorny crown there stood

His crime ? Delusions , proclaimed himself a king
Though he helped the needy : harmed not a living thing

Have I become delerious ? The mob chants for my release instead
Buffoons ! They want to see that Galilean dead!

Freed! By all the God-damned powers that be , or may not be
Allowed to roam again ,mustn't hesitate , now go man ,flee!

Curious though , I turn my head , for a final glance just one
The wretched would -be regent breathes his last and :'It is done'.

And what is done ?My hideous crimes they wish to vindicate
Confused and inspired , a prophecy , I scratch upon my slate:

Golden cast ,his corpse ,displayed upon their chests , glorifies his name
They come forth to do evil I've not done and still they know not shame .

No comments: