Monday, December 25, 2006

No. 91: Cyprian Trilogy Part ll, 1994

Interim
Living here......so sweet
The citrus trees welcome me as I walk the town
And what a town :so small , small enough to be a part of,
The mid-day winter sun's caress .
Nobody could deny my right to realise my dream.

To stare at glistening seas , contemplate a purple sky
And count the stars at night
Then in good time to gently wake and a earn a humble livelihood
To settle down; I'm making a life here .
Twice so far the fellow migrant swallows have greeted me ,since I've been living here .

The lizards at my feet , countless colours of wild flowers
The butterflies dance around a royal praying mantis , seated on a throne of leaf.
The blazing dragon flies; survivors : alive here.
The rugged hills , cacti and football-pitch valleys,the parched earth, red soil, land-

Mines , barbed wire, firing ranges
The invading flags , blue berets , post colonial garrisons,
National Guards....arms race
Hysteria , propaganda , confusion , slick orators,the mess.......

Living here?

How foolish it will all seem
When I come to , in a cold sweat .

No comments: