Monday, December 25, 2006

No. 92: Cyprian Trilogy Part lll, 1994

Ciao Zeno

Ciao Zeno! I searched for you in vain
I knew not when, my stoic strength would drain
You too, in shame would turn your head
To see that only on their coins you're read.

Android culture , Mitsibushi donkey-riders high
Men and women with self esteem ; as much as they can buy
Pompous pidgin English , Russian spoken too this season
Their only orthodox Christian ; a criminal accused of treason.

And so the wretched would-be painter seduced by sea and sun and sky
Is retreating , disillusioned with bloody nose and weary eye
His hungry paint brushes placed inside a tea chest , stiffen with complaint
Labouring hands for hire , a shipper's bill no time to paint.

Two years wasted , older, wiser, poorer, no right here to abberate
And little patience left for yet more generations taught to hate
Ciao Zeno ! I'm London bound, guess that's where I'm going to live then die
Inside a test tube where a whole small world lives beneath a wet and windy sky.

So I place the fragments of a broken dream within a carton
And watch my sunny hope subside
My only boon? The urge to come here gone
And one true friend: Experience , standing by my side.

No comments: