Sunday, December 16, 2007

No. 38 Diary of a Non-Entity 6 (Extract from unfinished novel :) 2006

This is my diary, I once read a book called 'Diary of a Nobody' , I thought at the time well if he's a nobody what the hell am I? I actually felt envious of the main character. I now think it's time to write my non-story ; Welcome to A Diary of a Nonentity .

19th April 2006
What did I do today ? Nothing much, I did walk into the local job centre and looked at some adds for vacancies . I was attracted to a vacancy for warehouse assistant, but when I approached the clerk or 'careers advisor' she told me the company was looking for someone with working knowledge of building materials and would be testing candidates for such knowledge. Well I did say I had a 'common sense knowledge' of such things but apparently this was not good enough.

I returned to base by 11.30 a.m. I was exhausted by the sheer effort of looking for work. I had moments of excitement as I picked various possible jobs the outcome was negative.

I made two veggie burgers with chips and dozed off by 1.00 PM.
When I awoke at 3.00 P.M I had a frightening thought of what am I going to do for the rest of this day?

I fooled myself by running through a list of usual activities ; read the newspaper , listen to various radio station programmes ,
tidy the flat ......rubbish , all were meaningless.I began to pace around the room in a temper then walked out into the street.

I wandered around the park observing life; animal life human life plant life anything but my own non-life.....maybe I should stop living , that is what I really need to do , but I am too cowardly and have settled for the cigarette ,wine and fatty food option.

I returned to the flat by 6.00 PM. The 'weepy' feeling had left me by now as I was seated moping , reflecting ; A knock at my door .
'You want coffee?' I was so glad that Olga had thought of me.
'Yes Olga , I would love to.' In Olga's flat whilst drinking her coffee and talking everyday meaningless conversation , I could not help thinking of my previous ,wild and hopeless attempt of seducing her .Never again ,just don't know how to do it .
I enjoyed her company as 'friends only ' then retired to my flat by
8.00.PM.

Restless , I ran on the spot , did some push ups , had more veggie burgers and chips with beans . The dark cloud had gone . I felt happy doing nothing and passively watching silly TV programmes.
Slept by 11.30PM. An average day.

No comments: