Sunday, December 16, 2007

No.34: Diary of a Non-Entity 2 ( Extract from unfinished novel ) 2006

This is my diary, I once read a book called 'Diary of a Nobody' , I thought at the time well if he's a nobody what the hell am I? I actually felt envious of the main character. I now think it's time to write my non-story ; Welcome to A Diary of a Nonentity .

11th April 2006
It's late , about 11.00 pm in London.I am alone in my bed sit ; a single room twelve feet by eight , I share a kitchen and bathroom with others. I will tell you about them in due course.
I guess it is not such a mystery why I have remained alone although I think I would rather share my life with somebody .
I got up early and went for a walk just as the world was beginning to set into motion , walked up to Edmonton's Fore Street ,pacing to a speed and rhythm of the general populace , trying to appear a busy body as if I was working or had something purposeful to do with my time. I bought a cornish pasty and a cheese pastry from a well known bakery that seems to have dominated every high street in London. It has a blue shop front I don't know what they put into their pies , probably rubbish it tastes good. The weather was cold ,but I was well covered in clothing, I walked at the same fast pace all the way home and ate my breakfast while it was still hot . I laid down , listened to a radio debate all about clothing stores :a little more boring than usual. I was taken by the female presenter's articulate and admirable tone.

I slept for an hour or so then decided to go to the corner shop to by my cigarettes. I promised my self I won't smoke the first one until it is at least 11'00a.m.

At the corner shop ; palpitations. This Indian woman, well I'm not sure if she is Indian , could be from Bangladesh or Pakistan, but she is so BEAUTIFUL , it hurts me..I buy my cigarettes , she always serves me with a smile and asks me how I am in a way that she really means it. She is married and has two sons that look in their late twenties . I sometimes even pretend to have forgotten something just to spend a few more minutes in her sublime presence.

This was the highlight of my day . The rest was a repeat of every other day.I cooked beans on toast read the Sun newspaper . slept in the afternoon and just started to reflect about my past . I feel that If write these things down about the past , present and ideas for the future I may at least......... goodness knows what . Well it's now 11.30 pm , I do have friends ,really, I am drinking my third glass of wine and smoking roughly my 15th cigarette these are my friends. Time to sleep and hear tonights radio phone-ins.

No comments: